Monday, June 14, 2010

Week Two Comes to a Close

So, to recap the last several days ... it's been good, bad, rotten, better, stable .... in other words, lots of fun.

Monday: When I got to the hospital, she was on the C-Pap mask, by midday back to conventional ventilator and later back to the oscillating ventilator.

Tuesday: Diagnosis of pneumonia that morning, rough day for both of us. OK, probably worse for her, but I was a mess. I had my two week postpartum checkup that afternoon. Of course, since Dr Schwartz wasn't my primary OB, her medical assistant and I have never crossed paths. We've already established in earlier posts that I was more than slightly emotional. We got into the room and she started with her questions. 1. "How tall are you?" 2. "Are you nursing?". And with that, I burst into tears and apologies. Poor woman.

Had a lovely visit with Dr Schwartz. incision healing very well and looks great. Am really quite pleased with the whole thing. I told her that the C-Section was an easier recovery than the boys' deliveries. Seriously, it was easier to recover from the surgery than an episiotomy. Sure, it hurts to cough for a few days, and there are greater risks, etc... but the alternative means your best friends for the first weak or so will be a sitz bath, a can of solarcaine, a jar of Tucks and a squirt bottle of warm water. (OK, no comments about it being better for the baby, etc ... we're not talking medical preference, this is strictly post delivery rehab, here) Anyway, she reminded me not to recommend voluntary c-sections to my friends. So, please note: After delivering 3 babies; one without epidural, one with epidural, and one c-section, I preferred the last. But I take no official position on the topic. LOL)

Wednesday: Her x-rays were unchanged for the most part and it was really a day of recovery. She remained fairly quiet, just working to heal her little body.

Thursday: More or the same. I was at the hospital in the morning and Jonathan came as well. It was nice to have him there again. Later that afternoon, I left to pick up the boys to spend some time with them. I picked them up from Mimi's and we headed back to the house for a couple of days. Meanwhile, Jon was able to spend time with Ainsley. It was really great to spend some time with the boys after being apart from them for so long. I'd seen them when they'd come to the hospital, but it wasn't the same.

Friday: Jonathan spent the day with Ainsley and I spent the day with the boys. Her status was slowly improving each day. It was great.

Saturday: More of the same. The boys and I eventually made our way back up to Phoenix. Our first stop was to Ainsley and Jonathan for a visit. She was still making progress. Still on the oscillator, but the most important thing is that her lungs were able to rest while her body fights off the pneumonia. Later, Jon would have to head back to Florence, I would return to the hospital and the boys found themselves with Aunt Meredith at the movies. She took them to see Shrek 3. They love, love, love going to the "big theater". They were quick to report that they had been very good! ha..ha..

Sunday: They moved her back to the conventional ventilator. She had a good day, was doing well on the regular vent. Sunday afternoon we also had a quick visit from old friend Holly Glenn Carter who was in town for a day. It hard to believe we've been friends since 1984. Where does the time go?

And here we are ... The end of our second week. Hard to believe she's more than two weeks old. Amazing how time can fly and stand still at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Glad she's doing better, I'd love to see more pictures. When's a good time to call, I'd love to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete