Thursday, June 24, 2010

It is truly amazing to think how quickly time has passed. Tomorrow Ainsley will be 4 wks. How is that possible?

She's currently weighing in at 2lbs 5 oz and our big event for the day will be removing her ventilator. I think the plan is to put her first onto the CPAP. Not gonna lie, not a fan of the PAP-Mask. it looks dreadfully uncomfortable. But I get the whole thing about small steps. So, out with the tube, on with the mask. Sounds like a plan. They've spent the last day or so prepping her for this, with various treatments to reduce swelling in the airway so that she can breath more comfortably once the tube is removed. she's started wanting to suck her fingers and the pacifier, so I'm sure she will be thrilled to have one less thing in her mouth.

Her feedings have been increased to 11cc/3 hrs and they anticipate having her on full feeds next week. I understand that's somewhere around 15/17 cc's and i almost can't imagine her little belly being able to hold it all. However, now they use the pump to feed over a longer period of time, whereas before we would hold the syringe of milk in the tube and let gravity move it through. When she was under 1cc's it didn't take long at all. LOL

She's filling out and looks bigger for sure.

Ainsley on the ventilator


Getting ready for the move to CPAP with the foam "helmet" used to attach it.

CPAP has just been attached ... look at that sweet little double chin. Who'd have thought you'd find a double chin on a 2.5 lb baby. ha..ha

And finally ... getting to hold her. Never an easy task getting her out of the isolette, but so worth it when you get to snuggle her for a couple of hours. :)





1 comment:

  1. Oh Holly I had no idea! I just spent time reading your sweet Ainsleys blog and she is a beautiful miracle. The emotions are still so fresh for me and Kyle will be two in September. I laughed/cried/felt sick to my stomach/and felt so much joy. I especially loved your boys reactions to seeing her for the first time. I love that you started a blog. At times the days seem so mundane but there will be so much you will want to remember that you just won't be able to if you don't write it down. I seems like you are at a great hospital and she is doing awesome...here is to full feedings and steady weight gains. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete