Sunday, June 20, 2010

Moving Right Along ...

So, the song that I hear in my head right now ... the Muppets.

Movin' right along in search of good times and good news,
With good friends you can't lose,
This could become a habit!


I guess it's the "Movin' right along" part that seems to have the ring of relevance. Folks will ask how Ainsley is doing and it seems so uninteresting to say, "She's hangin' in there" or, "She's pluggin along", but really, that's all there is to say. For us, the more mundane the day, the better, but it seems pretty lack-luster when I pass along those reports.

Thursday, I arrived at the hospital and had a little more excitement then I'd anticipated. First, let me say this. On the way in that morning, I was talking to a friend and had just got done telling her how I'd finally gotten past where I kinda dread walking the last 10 feet around the corner to her room. You never know who or what you'd find once you got there. More often then not, the rooms quiet, occasionally the nurse is with her, but usually, especially lately, it's quiet when I arrive. Thursday morning I guess I jinxed it. ha..ha I walked into the room to see her nurse holding her in the isolette, gently bouncing her to calm her. To my surprise, she was wearing the nasal cannula. To my astonishment, it was because that little bugger had pulled out her vent tube. Ugh. They'd intended weening her off the ventilator, but she beat them to it. unfortunately, it before they would have the opportunity to help the swelling in her throat/vocal chords go down, so she had a tougher time breathing. After an hour or so, they determined it was best to re-intubate. Needless to say, the morning was much more eventful then we'd anticipated. Go figure.

Friday was a great day. Jonathan got to hold Ainsley for the first time that evening. I'd been lucky enough to hold her twice, but here she is, three weeks old, and Jon finally got to hold her. He made up for it though, holding her for two hours. :) It was pretty great.

Saturday morning, Jon headed up to Ainsley and I would join him later. Aunt Meredith hung out with the boys doing crafts and running around. As always, they had a great time. Meanwhile, Ron and Janet came up from Tucson and spent some time with us. I was able to hold her again that day - joyful since it's been two weeks since I'd held her last.

Overall, things are progressing slowly but surely. Her pneumonia has improved and her xrays have looked much better. Her feeds have increased daily and where she had started at 1cc of breast milk/6 hrs, she is now increased to 8cc/3 hrs. Right now the goals are for her to ween off the ventilator and gain weight. she's currently 2lbs. Sounds small, but that's a gain of 9 ounces and hey, that's more than 1/3 of her birth weight. Not too shabby. ha..ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment